Friday, October 17, 2008

home.coming. parade

I'm so tired. I'm sore all over. But it was worth it. It simply was. I picked the homecoming parade over the trip to the Hari Raya Celebration in Washington DC. But I think I made the right choice. Today is the big day, the game against Michigan, an old time Penn State rival. So, yesterday was the annual Homecoming Parade and I became a walker for the International Student Council(ISC). Well, walking down mainstreet a.k.a College Avenue in a blue baju kurung with a batik design ( symbolizes the traditional wear) in very very cold weather was certainly overwhelming.The best part was getting to hold the flag of your country, which I had to practically quarrel for since there were two people representing Malaysia. Oh, well. I didn't want to hand over the flag probably because it was all too exciting. Too bad. I finally did surrender the flag after all but that was near the end of the parade at the time. He was pretty mad. My bad.

Anyway, yesterday, despite the 6 degrees weather and I was wearing like practically 3 layers of clothes, everything turned out okay. I forgot all the troubles of the week and was an "International Student". When we walked from the IM building to the Lion Shrine, the streets were lined with rows of people, and little kids with bags to collect candy. There was this one guy, near South Halls, i think, he shouted something like, " Malaysia, raise your flag".It was nice to be recognized and the crowd cheered on. As for the International Student community, everyone was cheering us on. I just cannot put these feelings into precise words. Lisa couldn't make it though, maybe next time!

"Mom, are these people actually from their country, holding those flags?"

"And that's Malaysia", says a dad to his son, and the whole family gets candy from me! =)

" Do you guys want candy?"
"Yes please"

The rule of the game is you can't throw the candy, you have to hand it over, properly. So, yeah, some lucky kids get a handful, an early Halloween present. I spent 3.50 on a bag of candy myself. Well worth it.

It's very overwhelming when people know about your country. Holding your flag, walking in a parade with a bagpack coz i dint know where to chuck it, haha..in a parade which practically the whole town comes out to see, booking their places even the night before to get good seats for the parade despite the freezing weather, people cheering you on, shouting, going crazy!! I was going crazy as well!! Sure fun!!! Met some people from other countries as well. But that feeling of "representing" my country, that was a very proud and sensational feeling.

I thought of going tailgating today. But I'm too tired. I'm not even done with ESL! Anyway, thank you ISC for letting me a part of the parade! <3

Owh and Guitar HERO: World Tour @ the HUB was the best!!!! The guy i said could play "medium" even though the other two guys in my "band" were experts. Haha... wanna play again!
and when someone says we are... you say PENN STATE! GO BLUE AND WHITE!

1 comment:

jie said...

bila nk update ur blog ni??