Monday, December 22, 2008

My FIRST American Football Game (vs. Michigan State)





One word describes it all. Awesome. I barely know the rules of the game, but I know some of the basics, for example, what a touchdown is. 6 points for a touchdown. 4 marvelous touchdowns throughout the final game of the season, against the Spartans of Michigan State. And the final score 49-18. Another win added to Joe Pa’s record. At this moment in time, I have yet to master the intricate terminologies of the complex game of American football. Nevertheless, my first American football game was fantastic!




It snowed frantically at the beginning of the game. It was very cold. I did not expect it to be that cold. It was -5 degrees, but the stadium was full, full of the loyal Penn State fans that brace themselves through the freezing weather. And everyone in Beaver Stadium is united as one. One big family cheering on their beloved team, the Nitanny Lions, to victory! Chanting, the infamous words, “We are Penn State”, which sends shivers down my spine every time it is enthusiastically chanted. Someone says “We are”, everyone else says, “Penn State”. It does not get any simpler than that. The proud feeling that overwhelms inside of me when I too chant along with everyone else cannot be described in words. You just have to experience it for yourself and immerse yourself as part of the crowd. No Penn State game is complete without the motivational tunes from the Penn State Blue Band. Nor is it complete without the stomping of feet to the highly addictive tune from Zombie Nation, one of the many signature songs of Penn State. However, I still need to go to an official white out one day! Perhaps, next season…




When people ask me why I chose Penn State, one of the main reasons is the football! Congratulations Penn State! We did it! Thank you for making my first football game a memorable one, one I will cherish forever. Pasadena, here we come! We are Penn State!

No comments: